Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Week 3: "I Got Next"

It's hard for me to say whether I side more with Gootecks or Long Island Joe in terms of their philosophies toward gaming. I certainly do not share Gootecks's devotion; I don't think I could give up a lot of things in life to pursue a game like Street Fighter in the manner he did. In that sense, I guess I could say I side more with Joe.

I do think the rivalry going on between the East and West Coasts is beneficial to the community. Some might argue that it divides players and leads to unwarranted disputes--this certainly may have been the case, particularly earlier on. But where it divides players into one of two sides, it also unites players who fall on a common side of the border. In the grander scheme, the rivalry also fosters competition, and there can be nothing better to push players at the top to keep improving. In a sense, the rivalry keeps the game alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment